Wednesday, November 03, 2004

Naivety is a bitch

Crime is very rare within Japan and I was naïve enough to believe that “rare” was conducive to “nonexistent.” I, however, was terribly wrong. Tuesday night I was attacked by a slovenly drunk Japanese bastard. During my nightly walk around the town some guy walked up to me and busted out some broken English. We talked politics for a while, which intrigued me, so I felt no cause for alarm. Then things got ugly. He grabbed me by the waist, groped my ass and kissed me with his nasty sake breath. I kept telling him to get away, that I had a boyfriend, blah blah blah, but I think he saw right through it. So I shoved him and turned to run, but he still managed to slap me and scratch my face pretty hardcore. At which point I ran like hell down a side street and eventually made it home. He, however, followed on his bike. I made it inside okay, locked the door and hid in my room, but now this jackass knows where I live and I’m really fucking creeped out. I don’t like being afraid to leave my house at night, paranoid about locking my doors and windows all the time, even further secluded from the outside world. Why does shit like this always seem to happen to me?

I’m debating whether or not I should tell my supervisor…just give her a heads up on the situation in case any future scandals should arise. But at the same time, she’s very protective and I don’t want to make a big deal out of it. I’m sure it was just an isolated, drunken event and will never happen again…at least I hope. I’d almost assume just forget about it and move on, pretend it never happened. Repression has worked wonders in the past. But how do I explain visible scratch marks on my face? Fuck man.

3 Comments:

Blogger Wander Lust said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:11 AM  
Blogger Wander Lust said...

How horrible Lauren. Although I have never been physically attacked, I know how it feels to be violated. An aweful and helpless feeling.
I don't see how you couldn't tell your supervisor about it. It's your responsibility to look out for your safety, and part of that responsibility is to seek help when you need it. From what I know of you, you're not a Navy SEAL or an Army Ranger.
You would be remiss not to think of this as a big deal. It is a big deal, and a big deal should be made of it.
Don't let your ego get in the way of your safety.
I'm sorry this happened to you.

9:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do hope you arent badly shaken by this episode. Crime in Japan is indeed rare but not completely null. I guess you just cant take your "safe" environment for granted.

Jacqui

3:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home