Friday, October 29, 2004

I am not what you think I should be

I’m not big on astrological signs, but it is interesting to note how often they are correct. Though, I imagine the human mind could adapt it’s own characteristics to fit into an pre-ordained set of traits subconsciously. And, I could probably squeeze my way into any sign, considering I change from week to week, day to day. But, alas, I have been caged into believing I was meant to be a Pisces.

“Imaginative and sensitive
Compassionate and kind
Selfless and unworldly
Intuitive and sympathetic
On the dark side....
Escapist and idealistic
Secretive and vague
Weak-willed and easily led”

What’s this dark side all about? And since when did being idealistic become such a negative attribute? I will admit, however, and this is big, that I am very easily led, though I’ve always ascribed it to my laidback nature rather than some inability to lead or make my own decisions. I can, and often do, make my own decisions (don’t you shake your head at me, you know I do.) I just worry myself to ulcers before making said decisions.
Okay it gets better.
"Pisceans are of a malleable nature."
---I love being compared to sheet metal!
“They are deservedly popular with all kinds of people, partly because their easygoing, affectionate, submissive natures offer no threat or challenge to stronger and more exuberant characters.”
---In short, if you’re a dominant person, feel free to walk all over me in order to make me feel loved.
“Their natures tend to be too otherworldly for the practical purposes of living in this world as it is. They sometimes exist emotionally rather than rationally, instinctively more than intellectually (depending on how they are aspected). They long to be recognized as greatly creative. They also dislike discipline and confinement. The nine-to-five life is not for them. Any rebellion they make against convention is personal, however, as they often times do not have the energy or motivation to battle against the Establishment.”
---Yup, that’s me. Not so sure I’d call it “otherworldly” though. I do exist emotionally rather than rationally. I think you’ve all come to realize that at some point.

“Pisceans tend to withdraw into a dream world where their qualities can bring mental satisfaction and sometimes, fame and financial reward for they are extremely gifted artistically. They are also versatile and intuitive, have quick understanding, observe and listen well, and are receptive to new ideas and atmospheres. All these factors can combine to produce remarkable creativity in literature, music and art and yearn for new sensations and travel to remote, exotic places.”

---This is getting creepy. But did you hear that?….I’m creative.
“Pisceans would want a relationship in which the partner's mind and spirit rather than the body resonated with their own.”

---Yeah, I’m working on that one.
“In their employment they are better working either by themselves or in subordinate positions.”

---What is with all this subordinate shit? I may be a timid person, but that’s not going to stop me from fully realizing my potential and slowly fulfilling my dreams of world domination.
“They can make fair secretaries and bookkeepers.”

---Make me a secretary and I will kill you.

“Because of their lively versatility and inability to concentrate overmuch on any one project, Pisceans often simultaneously follow more than one occupation.”

---So does this mean that by realizing what my future may astrologically hold I'll now subconciously carry out a plan similar to above. Like when you're friend calls and says not to wear a red shirt to class b/c she'll be wearing a red shirt and then you completely forget and end up wearing a red shirt, but really you subconciously remembered the color red and were drawn to it when choosing your shirt?

In knowing you can never go back.

Okay kiddies, I'm off for the weekend, which means no internet access, and hence, no new posts, and hence, no creative genius (their words, not mine) to tantalize and stimulate your intellectual essence. But don't let that stop you from commenting.

5 Comments:

Blogger ~e.mo~ said...

Are you trying to say "construe"?

Astrological signs are always fun. But you are biased to 'want' to believe them. When you read the vague comments, you are looking to find a way of how it applies to yourself and thus adopt them as appropriate. The wording is so loose, using modifiers like 'sometimes' or 'often'...that's just to ensure credibility. The phrases make up three catagories: The first, Indirect statements ("tend to" "mostly"). These make up over a third of the phrases. But a majority are direct statements that can be applied to people in general (see below). So the smallest percent, the diret non-universal statements, are the ones that get argued against - "I'm not really like that."
Let's look at how universal most of the comments are:
"malleable nature" = everybody has this, everyone is affected by their environment, conscious or not your behavior changes to suit your needs for the pursuit of your interests.
And this, "Their natures tend to be too otherworldly for the practical purposes of living in this world as it is. They sometimes exist emotionally rather than rationally", that is completely contradictory. Emotions are the basis of human life...the basis of this world. Otherworldy would be emotionless, it is metaphysical. The physical world is ruled by emotions.
"They long to be recognized as greatly creative": who doesn't? Everybody wants to be appreciated for their uniqueness.
"They also dislike...confinement": Umm again, who does? Being into bondage is one thing, but nobody lives a life pursuing their own encapturement.
"The nine-to-five life is not for them": It's not for anybody...evolutionarily humans spent most of their day relaxing in free time. Hunting and gathering would only spand a couple hours in which time you could acquire enough substanance to subsist work free for a majority of the day. Not until wants began to outnumber needs did a longer work schedule become necessary. Thank you advertising.
"Any rebellion they make against convention is personal": every rebellion made is personal. You are personally responsible for your actions. Even as part of a group, you represent your personal self. There is no such thing as a public rebellion, only individuals collectively rebelling.

Ok, I don't have time to go through every line and dispell the pseudo-science of astrology. I do think there is a certain merit to the field, but just thought I'd put a little perspective into things. Behavior is not so much predictable by the cosmological makeup of the universes. If there are any influences, they're anecdotal. People are more regulated by the dicotomy of being and not being. Extraverted vs Introverted.

If the world is a stage and we are the actors, we have two choices...to act or not to act. Although you can't really 'not act'. In reality you are acting as an observer. So your two choices: act as an actor would, or act as an audience would. These roles are not static and each person is free to act how they please when they please (unless other actors are acting upon them). In some situations you are more outgoing, perhaps as a result of a high level of comfortability. Other times you are introverted, perhaps because you're unhealthy at the time. And sometimes, you rabble too much like me and should decide to shut up

1:28 PM  
Blogger Brian said...

I was unlucky enough to be born on the Aries-Pisces cusp. I find that Pisces describes me best in 'real life', but I can be rather Aries when I'm online, as I'm sure you know. Anyhow, have a good weekend, kiddo, and I hope you take a few photos while you're away ...

8:58 PM  
Blogger Wander Lust said...

I am a Taurus. I will probably be a Taurus for the rest of my life. A couple years ago, I built a headboard for my bed in the shape of a Taurus symbol. It turned out pretty neat. Fortunately, it survived a fire. Unfortunately, after the fire, I got a bigger bed.
Like Elizabeth, I check my horoscope pretty frequently. The only real reason I do this is to learn when I am going to win the lottery. I need to put some money down on that island.
For the most part, I think horoscopes and signs are bogus. But, I'm sure they're as fun to write as they are to read. And, I'm sure somebody somewhere is making some dough from the whole enterprise.

11:43 PM  
Blogger Chishiki Lauren said...

Liz - it's not a word, sorry babe. Maybe you should subscribe to AWAD (a word a day.) It provides all kinds of daily entertainment, not to mention fun words like dasypygal (one of my faves...look it up.)

Eian - I don't want to beleive it, in fact, I don't. Simply because i was born one month out of twelve doesn't mean I am destined to be creative. I created myself, without prior knowledge of my astrologically determined mannerisms. I'm just saying it's interesting that it seems to fit a good percentage of my life. It all depends on interpretation. You say everyone is malleable and maybe that's true...but I take it to mean that I allow people to hammer away at me, not life, or time, or nature. I am of a certain temperament which allows people to use me, walk all over me for the sake of avoiding confrontation. Furthermore, I am more easily swayed by others than most, and in that regard I suppose I am more malleable than others. Why are you so hell bent on contradicting me anyway?

Brian - I figured you as more of a Pisces than Aries, it suits you to a certain degree. When is your birthday, btw?

Scott - I think you should build yourself a smaller bed for the purpose of putting your artistic handiwork to good use. Even if you never sleep in it...or, it could make for a nice resting spot for your unnamed kayak. :)

7:17 PM  
Blogger Brian said...

March 21. The first full day of Spring. The same birthday as Johann Sebastian Bach, Gary Oldman, Rosie O'Donnell, and Matthew Broderick. It's also the WHO's 'World Day of Sleep', Unesco's 'World Poetry Day', and the UN's 'International Day for the Elimination of Racial Discrimination' (Appropriate, I think, since I love poetry, hate racism, and sleep a hell of a lot). It's also the New Year of the Bahai calendar and the Neopagan holiday of Ostara. And it's also the day you send me a b-day gift from Japan (Hint, hint). When exactly is your b-day, darling?

12:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home