Tuesday, October 26, 2004

I was made for Trivial Pursuit

I found the longest street in the world...does that count? Yonge Street, 1,178 miles, starts on the Toronto Lakeshore and winds its way northwest along Highway 11 to Rainy River, Ontario, at the Minnesota border. Pretty impressive I'd say. Want some history?....too bad.

Before it was paved, Yonge began as a trail used by the Huron Indians and early explorers, i.e. Samuel de Champlain. John Graves Simcoe, the provincial governor of Upper Canada and founder of Toronto, ordered the paved portion of the road built to provide military access to the Great Lakes in case of an American invasion. He named the street after Sir George Yonge, the British secretary of war at the time.

And then the road grew...end of story. I thought it'd be more interesting, as it's random, and a fact, and I love random facts.

In my cultural geography class last year Prof. Bigelow was giving an opening statement in regard to the nature of the course and the sheer size and diversity of the world...but he somehow forgot the number of countries. I stepped up to bat, probably the only time I made a comment in that class, and informed him that there are 193 countries in the world, and if you'd like, I can recite those starting with A-D alphabetically, including capitals. (okay, so I didn't say that last part...but I can, and you can bet I listed it on my resumee) Do I have problems?

4 Comments:

Blogger Brian said...

You know, nothing makes me go all doe-eyed and love-struck faster than a woman quoting useless trivia. But maybe that's just because I'm a huge geek. I used to be able to recite in chronological order all the US presidents, but now I get stuck somewhere around McKinley. Do you think that'll help me in the job market?

5:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I threw up a little...in my mouth

12:34 PM  
Blogger Brian said...

Hey, Anon., you liked that, huh? And I hadn't even gotten around to the Barry White and cheap champagne ...

3:47 PM  
Blogger Chishiki Lauren said...

I love all the comments, I hate Hooters, I too can recite all the presidents(though I usually stop at Clinton b/c it just becomes depressing after that)...it's a sad little mind I've got!

Liz-let's go to Sudamerica asap...I've got to get out of here.

7:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home