Saturday, March 25, 2006

Because Trivial Pursuit rules my life decisions

I’ve decided to reread Edith Hamilton’s Mythology, despite the intense pangs of bone-crushing hatred that arise from memories of the first reading. But I’ve come to realize that much of what I despised in high school can be attributed to teenage dispassion and sheer stupidity. Yes, I said it. I was stupid. Let’s not dwell.

I couldn’t stand Steinbeck, I found Salinger to be insipid and infuriating, algebra was beneath me, Camus made no sense. And now. Now I lament the fact that Salinger wrote no more than four novels. I’ve read everything written by Camus and moved on to his contemporaries. I work quadratic equations in my free time. And as for Steinbeck….well, still not a fan. Can you blame me?

So I’m hoping this time around I’ll gain more from Hamilton, because I can’t avoid mythology for the rest of my life. And as soon as I find I know next to nothing about something it pops up all over the Trivial Pursuit board…like that ENTIRE category on sports. Seriously, if you thrive on the sports questions, what’s the chance you know anything about the Hindenburg explosion or the number of times Eva Braun attempted suicide? I just don’t get it. But back to point. There’s a good chance I’ll actually enjoy it if you factor in the number of things I once hated but now enjoy…like green beans…and cubism.

p.s. The house guest has left us. And not once, Not. Bloody. Once. did he brush his teeth. I knew you were curious.

7 Comments:

Blogger Brian said...

Damn you, your Camus and your quadratic equations. Now I can never go back to finding ordinary women attractive. And I have you to blame. Evil, evil Lauren.

6:28 AM  
Blogger patrick said...

Hunh! I like Steinbeck!

11:27 PM  
Blogger Sameer Vasta said...

there's a little web app called literature map that takes an author and maps out similar authors. like you, i've never liked steinbeck, but because i'm in love salinger's works, i plugged in his name and found some neat stuff.

12:13 PM  
Blogger Brian said...

Thanks for the link, Vasta, that's a cool site. Well, except for the fact that I typed in Joseph Heller and got Ayn bloody Rand. Otherwise, pretty useful...

11:23 PM  
Blogger Debbye said...

Well, I put in Dr Seuss and got Bret Easton Ellis. You know, you set "Green Eggs and Ham" in 1980's Los Angeles, you got "Less Than Zero"...

12:13 AM  
Blogger chad said...

I keep edith on my shelf too, just in case.

how did you know for a fact that he didn't brush his teeth? maybe he is just very private.

I typed in Dickens and got God.

5:00 PM  
Blogger Sameer Vasta said...

typed in dickens and got god? i guess that's fitting, since i can't stand both of their writings.

and joseph heller should be deeply offended that he's closely linked to ayn rand. heck, i'm offended i had to type out that name.

1:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home