Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Lungs aren't that important anyway

My supervisor hacked up a lung today. Just hacked it up, in the middle of class. It fell to the floor at my feet, and rather than pick it up and put it on ice, she continued with class. You can’t interrupt class for a lost lung. A larger body appendage or internal organ, perhaps. A lung, no. We played Bingo. We played Bingo on top of the lung. It was sick and sad and morbid and nauseating, all rolled into one horrible hour of teaching. One student wore a paper clip in his mouth like a retainer. I ask, who wants to wear a retainer?…or stick sharp metal objects in their mouth? Maybe a culture which places no emphasis whatsoever on dental hygiene is fascinated with such abstract concepts as straight teeth, braces, matching clothes, respect for students, cooked food, a snow shovel!

Dude, somebody’s got to save me from my own devices.

So, HEY, super fun post, right?


I want to see a pirate. Just once.

3 Comments:

Blogger Dave said...

ahoy! I'm surprised a hacked lung wasn't served raw on a bed of rice with wasabi. I suppose a paper clip in the mouth is better than a paper clip in the eye, nose, or ear, unless of course the paper clip was in the nose or ear before it was in the mouth.

1:40 AM  
Blogger Brian said...

Actually, Lauren, I wanted to wear a retainer. In fact, I remember when I was quite small seeing someone with braces and the whole elaborate headgear assembly and I thought it was the coolest thing, like some sort of funky cyberpunk implant. I don't know what I thought: Maybe it gave him a super-strength bite or FM reception, but I wanted it. I was, however, informed by my older brother that it would make me look like "a big dork", and unfortunately, I was cursed with straight teeth anyway. I was so disappointed ...

3:27 AM  
Blogger Chishiki Lauren said...

Dave, I think she salvaged the lung after class. Lord knows what delicacy she'll cook, or not cook, it into.

Brian, you are far too cool for me. Whatever shall I do to impress you now?

11:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home