Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Don't drag me down

I feel as if there is someone watching over me, in a very cynical, non twenties love song sort of way. Someone who broods over the possibilities of my day, waiting for it to turn in delightful ways, before hurling down the one thing that could shatter all positive antecedents. This person knows me, all too well I fear. This person knows that I’ll only cry at the worst moments, usually involving mass amounts of people, especially my coworkers and my elementary students. They know that when I become completely frustrated or pissed off I’m liable to throw whatever is in my possession. Yet they also know that I am glued to a contract, for the next six months, which prohibits me from leaving this country, and even worse, as a temporary resident of this country, I am under certain societal restraints, of politeness, of monetary dependence, social dependence even. They know that when the PE teachers slaps thirteen year old Masao across the face repeatedly, drawing out the sound, yelling in full sight of thirty other teachers, allowing others to berate the student as well, that I am capable of horrendous acts. Somehow, they know that were I to live up to my potential and possibly whap this man upside his goddamn face with my laptop, that I’d, in retrospect, feel guilty. They know that were I a callous being, incapable of drawing emotional reproach from the abuse of students, that I’d feel, at some point or another, a certain remorseful emptiness. But the kicker, they know that being restrained to my desk, laptop in hand, ready to hurl, mouth agape, awaiting some novel words, on the verge of action but unable to fulfill such, brings me to the lowest point in my life, a reverse apex, a concave bell curve. The ultimate moment of redemption was at hand. The one moment when you finally have the desire, feel the need to say or do something, anything, to make people see, to show them the gross violations of human sanctity they are allowing in their presence, the moment to take a stand against that rat-faced bastard, the moment where I’m, quite possibly, as upset as I’ve ever been, or will ever be, where I’m most moved to take action…inevitably, the one moment when I am held back by a barrage of logical reasoning. But some actions defy reason. I hate that man. I can honestly say that. When all I’ve ever wanted for human existence is the equality of social beings, on every scale possible, here exists this man in direct opposition to my self-imposed purpose for existing, and he’s trumped me. Just one more person telling me, indirectly, to sit down, to shut up, that I’ll never make a difference. There will always be some responsibility, some contract, some inane, banal reason, to subdue, to override, to belittle my outrage, to reduce what I want done, to what must be done, into what will be done, sadly, into what should have been done.

If the reason you feel you’re here, existing, is constantly thrown in your face as inconsequential, impossible, does the necessity for that purpose become that much greater, or must the purpose go through revision?

"Ignorance like a gun in hand,
Reach out to the promised land

Your history books are full of lies,
Media-blitz gonna dry your eyes

Have you ever been afraid,
and felt society try to keep you down?

....Don't drag me down." - SD

2 Comments:

Blogger Wander Lust said...

At first, I thought that was a Nick Drake song. Guess not. I'm really sorry you're experiencing those things. I couldn't imagine being that child. Where would you turn for help? I would be surprised if the parents knew what was going on; less surprised if they would do anything about it if they did know.
We were taught in a course titled "Cross Cultural Communication" to look at an unknown culture as purely an outsider. Never to bring our own perspective and opinion into a foreign environment. But, apparently in some cases, that goes with the wind, and the desire to help takes over. I can feel your frustration, almost as much as I feel the children's. I don't know what to tell you kid. Only 6 more months I guess.

12:11 AM  
Blogger ~e.mo~ said...

It's not enough to have a dream unless you're willing to pursue it. It's not enough to know what's right unless you're strong enough to do it. It's not enough to join the crowd, to be acknowledged and accepted. You must be true to your ideals, even if you're excluded and rejected. It's not enough to learn the truth unless you also learn to live it. It's not enough to reach for love unless you care enough to give it.

2:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home