Thursday, December 02, 2004

Have I got an image for you...

I opted for an alternate path home last night, for the sake of variety, and god bless spontaneity. I ran into yet another cemetery, largely secluded, more open than the others near my house. I stepped in, as is my obsession, and peeked around, quietly, so as to not disturb those at rest. I peered around a mausoleum to my left and noticed a rather striking, unexpected figure, asleep upon a freshly planted plot. A girl, no more than thirty I imagine-though I should add everyone in Japan appears twenty years younger than reality allows them to be-was laid out across a mound of dirt, one hand outstretched towards the tombstone, as if fallen hopelessly after futile attempts to unearth her loss. She was positioned at such an awkward angle I imagine she hadn’t been there long, and I feared she would soon awake in agonizing pain, though, certainly, not nearly as painful as that which led her to sleep, one last time, quietly, aside her lover/friend/relative. It was a terribly romantic image, one which I wish you could have seen, or I could have presented in more focused vocabulary. The cemetery was deserted, save the two of us, one unbeknownst to the other, one deep in slumber, one disheveled and smudged, peaceful despite a broken nature, I’d imagine, one with a camera. And here I should add that there are no concrete visuals to go with this post, other than those your creativity allows you to paint based upon my account, for it was a sublimely private moment, between a girl and the grave which symbolized her loss. I could have asserted some rights of onlookers, pulled out my camera and scored a few points on the emotional scale, but I refrained. Plus, it was after five, and the lighting was shit. I wouldn’t want to capitalize on something so personal, so full of misery and anguish, so stolen, it wasn’t my image to capture.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You write really well. Ever thought of going professional?

Jac

12:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home