Wednesday, November 24, 2004

~Korea~

I'm not quite sure how to go about describing Korea, other than using an abounding amount of positive adjectives. It was exactly what I needed, to get away from work, to absorb something other than the Japanese culture and to take a fuck load of pictures. I know most of you are too lazy to flip through Buzznet, so I'll post my favorites below...but if you get a chance, Buzznet is calling your name. There are a few that should come with smell and sound, namely chanting and incense, in order to capture the full effect. Unfortunately, Pentax has not developed such technology. So, turn on Monty Python, you know the part I'm talking about, and burn some incense or, just burn something.

A brief recap, not to bore you, but maybe it will. Dre and I spent four days in Korea, though a good portion of two simply in transit. Two hour train ride to Hakata, three hour ferry to Korea, still fucking amazes me, three hour train ride from Pusan (a bit crap) to Seoul (mi salvavida), twenty minute metro ride to Myeongdong, five minute walk. In fact, the only form of transportation not utilized during this trip, other than rickshaw and elephant which shall be saved for Thailand, is a taxi…odd. Anywho, Seoul is amazing. There are areas where you feel you’re the only living soul, especially up in the mountains, around the temples, walking the lonely streets, and then there are districts like Insadong and Myeongdong, loaded with natives, tourists and slug people, more lights than the Griswold’s house at Christmas, and more crap for sale than Goodwill…no, I take that back. I rather enjoy Goodwill, when I'm not busy hating it.



This is one of those moments when the phrase "wish you were here" rings truer than ever imaginable. The city of Seoul buzzed below, while this man perched gracefully on the rocks amidst the Inwangsan Shamanist hillside. He was chanting quietly to himself in between drags of his cigarette, there was a cool mountain breeze, the monks below continued to chant through another service, incense was burning in every spot possible...you can't possibly expect me to capture the dynamics of such a moment. I personally think the shot, on an individual basis, is rather dramatic, but wholistically, including all sensory perceptions the moment was nothing less than fucking amazing, and my photography fails in comparison. Damn you people...you all should have been there.

More of the Shamanist hillside. Realistically, it's more of a vertical plane, which Andrea and I were forced to climb, in shoes with little traction, resulting in major shin splints and more bruises than I care to count. Physical pain was worth it, everything was worth it. It was inspiring to stand among the Zen rock formations and look down upon the Seoul peons, glance around at the Buddhist temples and abosrb all that is culturally distinct.

Guksadang Shamanist shrine. There was a service in progress, meaning we were lucky enough to hear bells gonging and monks chanting in erratic unison.

Ceiling of Beomyeonsa temple. The Buddhist philosophy of the life is represented in the birghtly decorated ceilings...or so says Lonely Planet. And we never question Lonely Planet.

Insadong district was, more or less, four thousand streets lined with kitsch shops. There were more street vendors than people, impromptu parades, Korean women in traditional dress and lots of colorful crap.

I have a slight obsession with lanterns...maybe I'm just quick to form addictions.

Traditional Korean masks used for cultral festivals and dances. They remind me of that mask I made in pottery junior year. I loved it at first, then it began to creep me out. I still can't decide if it's abstractly artistic or trying to kill me. Needless to say, it resides under my bed.

Myeondong subway station. By far the cleanest subway I've ever seen...in a city of 10.7 million residents. Is that not crazy? It could be a fucking Tilex commerical.

Beneath that little cap lies a pair of eyes waiting for you to snatch him out of his seat and smuggle him across the border. Fortunately, I resisted my impulses.

Candid shot. I think it's fascinating you can tell just by looking at the shape of their mouths, opened in conversation, that they don't speak English. No English sound requires a mouth that low set.

Labor Union protests through the streets of Insadong. There were literally thousands of unemployed Koreans blocking traffic, shouting into megaphones, tossing out flyers and pamphlets. Nonviolent for the most part, misunderstood as well. Which is easily determined by the next shot...

...the riot police, running to action. Damn near knocked me out, but I braved it for this shot...do I deserve some kind of medal or something?

Finally, the bright lights of Myeongdong district. At first I was frustrated at my inability to snap a shot sans people...but I think the couple makes the fluorescent street appear less harsh. I rather enjoy their disruption.

8 Comments:

Blogger Tony and Clyde said...

you're goofy, but you got a long way to go. it's late but i'll b back.
KRD

2:31 AM  
Blogger Wander Lust said...

True, all very good pictures. But if you want us to flip through buzznet, you should at least give us the link. Or, am I the only retard who hasn't figured it out? Is it a snake that has bitten me?

2:54 AM  
Blogger Chishiki Lauren said...

What exactly is menat by I have a long way to go? Years? You think that's it? I don't necessarily count my life in years.

And sorry about the link...it's there now...I was just putting on the finals touches, not quick enough for you though.

3:22 AM  
Blogger Chishiki Lauren said...

It really bothers me that I spelt meant wrong on that last comment. And now I've pointed it out to you, and it will bother you too. C'est la vie.

And...if you're reading this now, right now, right fucking now, you clearly have nothing better to do, so leave a comment. Make it anonymous to save yourself some time and then leave your name...or don't, I don't mind. If you really have nothing to say, tell me your favorite color, or movie, or book, or your best childhood memory, or about the time you got really plastered in Cadiz and stole someone's hat only for them to chase you down and give it to you as a gift, before losing it somewhere between two alleys and more rum. Ugh, rum. Yeah, THAT story. Which involves illicit drug consumption, avoiding trannportation officials and 72 hour hangovers.

4:20 AM  
Blogger Byagi said...

Those are such beautiful pictures. They make me want to travel there. Thanks for sharing.

1:25 PM  
Blogger ~e.mo~ said...

To the foreign girl on the subway - stop stalking my children with your photoshooter.

1:11 PM  
Blogger Chishiki Lauren said...

Haha. But no need to worry. I was rather discreet. Always feigning my camera lens was dirty. Gotta love digital...makes photography a lot less social.

11:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmmnmm you are so right about me not having anything not one not any . My life make yours seem like a carnival that never stops.So you begged me to post anything poor chishiki.So if we were or you were to have sex with anyone these would be the only disappointments/you did not write at least one Haiku about the encounter.You failed to make endless lists about the next encounter yes endless.You didn't scream and wriggle and go goofy.You were not multi orgasmic.Of course the next day when I showed up I'd ask to see your Haiku and since my pet name for your naked body is haiku you would'nt know if I wanted your body or your mind.So next time remember if you don't want a post don't ask.

7:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home