Tuesday, November 09, 2004

Attempted verbalizations gone awry

I am wise beyond my years. I am more puerile than my elementary students. I know what I want out of life. I have no clue what I’m doing. I feel nothing. I feel everything. It hurts to be me. I love who I am. I hate that I smoke. I never want to quit smoking. I want to do everything imaginable. I want to sleep forever. I’m too damn vocal. I don’t speak up enough. I can’t write to save my life. I write every day, without fail. I read into things. I’m oblivious. I want to absorb all available knowledge. I want to remain blissfully ignorant. I thrive in darkness. I’m afraid of the dark. I thrive in daylight. Sunlight hurts my eyes. I want to raise beautiful, intelligent children. I can’t envision ever having children. I’ve done too much. I’ll never do too much. I regret nothing. This is me. I’m not fucked up…I am, simply, plainly, am. I exist, and at times that is too much for my feeble mind. Other times I’m held back by my inadequacies. I imagine most humans encounter internal struggles they never verbalize…so why must I attempt?

Why do you talk to me? Why are you my friend?…if indeed you call yourself such. Why do you read this on a daily basis? I want to know. Enlighten me as to how someone as existentially conflicted, academically challenged, fundamentally and irrevocably screwed up as myself has been graced lucky enough to deserve friends such as you. I’m not depressed--don’t jump to conclusions…I’m simply curious. I consider myself infinitely lucky. Take the compliment and run.

4 Comments:

Blogger Brian said...

I wish I had had the opportunity like some of the others who comment here to have known you in person, to have been there for the drunken carousing and late-night carryings-on, for the laughs and tears ... but if I can be presumptuous enough to say what keeps me coming back to read this, to stay up chatting with you till 6AM when I know I should be asleep, what makes me check my email a dozen times a day ... It's all the things you mention, the complexities, the contradictions, the unfailing little surprises in every conversation ... I don't think I could know you completely if I spent the rest of my life exploring all the intimate intricacies of your mind, though I'd be willing to give it a damn-good try. Okay, I'll stop now ...

2:39 AM  
Blogger Chishiki Lauren said...

Interesting to note that the one person, of two, who has yet to meet me comments...yet no one I've known longer than I was who I've become comments. Have I lost my touch?

Thank you though, Brian. At times I scare the hell out of myself, never able to keep up with a single train of thought, or carry it through for more than a minute. Other times, my mind is completely black, no thought, no vision, no life. But at the end of the day I usually find a balance.

7:05 PM  
Blogger Wander Lust said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3:04 AM  
Blogger ~e.mo~ said...

So you only give a 24 hour grace period to comment? Some people prefer to stay masked behind electronic visits, on-looking constantly but never participating. As I don't agree with their disposition I'll respect their decision.

Anyways, in regards to being your friend, it looks as if I'm one of the supremely lucky to have 'known' you in the flesh. This is to say I've experienced Lauren face-to-face with late night dialogues on the front porch or swing-set conversations in the park. We've survived vodka time, impromptu weddings, and rainy gutters. We supervised developing catholics, shared graet ice-cream, and wrestled with Beethoven. Of all these things it's been a blessing to share such precious moments.

Hanging out with Hoagie is like living in Dreamville. The time passes by unannounced and when you wake up you have that awful feeling of realizing it's over.

But perhaps there is still hope, and at least there is always contact. The choice will never be fully our choosing.

The mind can count rhythm but it's my heart that sets the beat...

2:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home