Thursday, October 07, 2004

Because closing your mind closes your eyes

Depression has sunk in. I feel that I have little impact on anyone I meet. I don’t claim to be omniscient or even remotely intelligent, but I do defend and support those I believe to frequent the moral high ground. I know the upcoming election has spawned countless debates and intense rivalry and I want it to be known that I don’t support who I support simply because of party politics. I’d vote for anyone who was willing to take a second glance at an ongoing war in order to save a few people. Do you realize what is going on with the state of the world, do my thoughts go right through you? People are dying, needlessly. Not just that, they are dying painfully, immorally, mistakenly, violently, torn apart by bullets, shrapnel, held at gunpoint, Iraqis, Americans, African child soldiers we’ve neglected simply to allocate more spending on defense rather than human rights issues. This is insane. I don’t see how anyone can defend this war, can defend the injustices that have been done. You assume I disagree with republicans because I’m not one….I disagree because this war is a fucking quagmire. Because my friend is dead, there is no justification for that, no matter what you throw at me. I disagree because this country has made mistakes, and it has cost us, men and women, who will never return to their families…do you want to argue with that? Did they die for their country?…..no, our country was not threatened. A life is not collateral damage. Don’t you EVEN try to argue with me, arguing is useless when it pertains to loss of life.

This isn’t elitism, sophism, black and white dogma, right or wrong. No, it’s more ethereal, intrinsic than good versus evil, it’s life and death, and it’s a decision none of us have the authority to make.
I want to convince you. I don’t care if you convert to my side, I simply want you to see it for what it is. This isn’t “liberal propaganda,” it’s not about parties…don’t you see? This is about your right to life…are you willing to die for a cause you don’t understand, muddled in lies, confusion, abuses, neglect? Then why should he have the power to send them off to die, as if they matter any less than he does.

You can ignore this, as usual, cast it off as a rant. But you just don’t get it, and I’m going to assume you never will.

Is your mind so closed that it affects your eyes?
Does being closed-minded imply blindness…ignorance…unfeeling?
You tell me…you know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home