Thursday, September 30, 2004

The little things you notice

I’ve been rereading Cat’s Cradle, for possibly the 4th time, and I just now realized that Newt Hoenikker, and his sister, lived at 4918 North Meridian Street in Indy. How freaky. I spent five months living right down the street, 4801 N. Meridian, Apartment 1201. That’s right…I published my address, stalk it all you want, it’s vacant now. I love stuff like that, the little details you pick up on after reading and rereading your favorite book or watching you favorite movie. Speaking of movies, I watched Fight Club Monday night, and I realize that I knew the ending from the start, but now that I do, it makes the subtle hints that Tyler/the narrator is schizo more evident right from the start.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you ever wonder what happens to the pop music complete flops of the eighties? Surely you do, I mean who doesn’t? I have found the answer after years of study. Most go to Europe, especially the Czech Republic and Belgium, and the rest, the pure and unadulterated crap, get packed up and shipped off to Japan, where they become smash hits. “We are the world” for example, the horrendous collaboration by every eighties artist known to man, is bigger than Britney Spears around these parts. Who ever thought that meshing Bette Midler, Lionel Richie, Kenny Rogers and Cyndi Lauper onto one take of a shit song which simply repeats four, unrhyming lines cerca 4,000 times would ever be popular? Now, I understand that the mix was made to support funding and awareness of poverty and hunger issues in Africa, and that’s great. But I’m pretty damn sure the American populace isn’t THAT excited to help Africa that they’re willing to spend money on something so terrible. They should be paying us to listen to it…I’m surprised there are no class action suits against the record producers for irreparable, psychological damaged caused by repetitive play time of this song. Is it just me, or was the entire production doomed from the start? Someone had a crappy song and thought getting someone big to sing it would sell records, but why stop there, let’s make it for charity, so there’s a few pity buys, and then let’s add every possible artist that’s topped VH1 any time within the past forty years. Diana Ross, Dione Warwick, Willie Nelson, Bruce Springsteen, Michael Jackson, Stevie Wonder…..no freakin’ way they were serious. So, to make a long story even more unbearable to read, and envision, for two hours yesterday I was forced to listen to my students singing this song over and over, in indecipherable English nonetheless, as they practiced for their choir performance at the upcoming cultural festival. Did you know there’s a video to the song too?…that makes it all better. After the video ends there’s a brief commentary with about five of the singers, and my students decided to dub out the English with Japanese. It felt like an episode of Mystery Science Theatre gone awry. Not good times.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home