Sunday, October 03, 2004

See the cat? See the cradle?

I went to the junior high's soccer game on Saturday morning...look at me, all dedicated to my job, getting up at 6am on a weekend just to support the home team. One kid taped a sign on his back claiming him to be David Beckham...I think I was responsible for that one. The coach kept trying to talk to me, in Japanese, so the kids had to translate...nice little English practice thrown in there...I work around the clock people, I deserve a raise.

There's a student teacher here this month. She's an English lit major at some university in Japan I've never heard of, no surprise there though. I was ecstatic to hear it, so I hounded her with questions about her favorite authors and whether or not she's ever been to an english speaking country, and now she avoids me at all costs. "I've done it again, one year in every ten, I manage it." The Japanese are frightened to speak to native speakers...and I thought I was shy. She was physically shaking, which I only do when presented with giving a speech, that or I black out, which is always nice. They're used to Japanese-English, which doesn't contain the letter L and adds a long U sound to the end of every word. Native English is almost another language...I freaked her out...I'm good at that, I should list it as a hobby on my resumee.

On a happy note, plans for Thailand are finalized. On Chirstmas I'll be riding an elephant through the jungle, on New Year's I'll be staying with a Thai family. Needless to say, there will be little of the Christmas spirit here in Japan. The only presents I'll be receiving are my winter clothes my parents shipped this weekend, the only cheer will be travel-induced. I don't mind, I haven't had a traditional Christmas in a long while, the last was spent sailing through the Virgin Islands then cruisin' the Las Vegas strip. Speaking of Vegas, Hall and Oates also performed on that lame rendition of "We are the world," which instantaneously made me laugh. I didn't think my supervisor would appreciate that story, not many do save Scheid, wherever he may be right now, so I withheld the story of the drummer whose name I have completely forgotten....oh no wait, it was Glenn, I think. Don't quote me on that.

See the cat? See the cradle? Yeah, this is meaningless. I'll try harder next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home