Monday, September 27, 2004

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." -- St. Augustine

I subscribe to National Geographic Traveler and the latest issues declares it has found the world’s fifty greatest destinations, though really, it pans out to be more like 48 considering two of hte last few are covered in a thick layer of cheese. In general I thought they were interesting, especially considering how few I’ve actually been to. So, without further a due, and slight fear of infringing upon some tiny print copyright laws, I give you National Geographic’s “50 PLACES OF A LIFETIME” in no particular order other than magazine layout:

1. New York City
2. Barcelona
3. Istanbul
4. Jerusalem
5. Hong Kong
6. Paris
7. Rio de Janeiro
8. London
9. Venice
10. San Francisco
11. Serengeti
12. Canadian Rockies
13. Coral Reefs of Papua New Guinea
14. Venezuela’s Tepuis
15. Australian Outback
16. Amazon Forest
17. The Grand Canyon
18. Galapagos Islands
19. Sahara
20. Antarctica
21. Pacific Islands
22. Japanese Ryokan
23. Boundary Waters (Canada)
24. Seychelles
25. Greek Islands
26. Torres del Paine
27. British Virgin Islands
28. Amalfi Coast
29. Kerala, India
30. Hawaiian Islands
31.England’s Lake District
32. Loire Valley
33. North Island, New Zealand
34. Big Sur
35. Canadian Maritimes
36. Vermont…yeah, um, the whole state of Vermont evidently rivals the wonders of the world
37. Coastal Norway
38. Danang To Hue
39. Tuscany
40. The Alps
41. Taj Mahal
42. Mesa Verde
43. Vatican City
44. Acropolis
45. Petra
46. Machu Picchu
47. The Great Wall
48. Cyber Sapce….wtf? How does this beat out Angkor?
49. Angkor
50. Pyramids at Giza
51. Space…lame

Okay, not sure how I ended up with 51. My fault? NG’s inability to count? Or maybe they don’t really consider space or cyber space destinations….which is my opinion, is pretty accurate considering the ratio of people who have actually traveled to space. What is it, maybe 1,000 to about 6,450,219,806, the world population as documented as of 7/1/04. LAME!!!!

Anyroad, my travels have taken me to 7 of the 51, with one more en route for April. Oddly enough, none of them are in the U.S….I’ve never been to New York, or San Francisco or even Vermont. I’m seriously lacking here. Not even a lousy 10%. Oh well, so National Geographic doesn’t feel my adventures were worthy of publication….maybe I’ll just publish my own 50 places of ¼ of a lifetime.

4 Comments:

Blogger Brian said...

That's funny, I've only been to seven as well, though I hope to hit Paris, Barcelona, and the Lake District before I go back to America. There are a few places I'm surprised didn't make it onto the list. Four places in Italy get listed, two in France, but no mention at all of Prague? And nothing in Ireland or Scotland at all? I thought for sure that Giant's Causeway or the Scottish Highlands would make it. A hell of a lot more interesting than the Internet, in any case ...

9:28 PM  
Blogger Chishiki Lauren said...

I know. I was looking forward to reading their comentary on Prague, but nothing. Not even an honorable mention. That's crap. Now that I think about it, I'll start my own list, right now.

9:40 PM  
Blogger Kristi said...

sorry Lauren, got you beat at 17 off your list. But I had all the American destinations. Too bad Alaska didn't make it, but I went through the Canadian Rockies this summer. And thanks to you, I went to the Virgin Islands. yay for spring breaks of yesteryears!

5:38 PM  
Blogger Chishiki Lauren said...

Technically, we went to the U.S. Virgin Islands(St. Thomas, St. John and St. Croix.) The British Virgin Islands are further south, and include Tortola, Virgin Gorda, Anegada, Jost Van Dyke and a few other fairly unexplored islands. I've only been sailing around Anegada and Tortola, the others are virtually unknown to me.

7:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home