Monday, August 23, 2004

I'm feeling so bohemian like you

Long, eventful, awkward weekend.

Friday evening was spent at the Lantern Festival with the gang, then off to a tea ceremony, followed by 5 HOURS of karaoke. That goes beyond the realm of adequate cultural exchange into the world of pure and unadulterated insanity. Luckily, Gaer paid for all 10 of us, and I got drunk, really quickly. I’m starting to look like an alcoholic to these people...especially considering I out-drank the 300 lb. hulk that is J. Good times.

Saturday morning = not so much fun. Completely hung over I was forced to bowl. And we’re not talking docile American style bowling. We’re talking pachinko style people…blaring techno music, flashing lights, hot pink shoes and one incredible headache. As if the act of bowling alone didn’t cause enough mental torment, I was subjected to embarrassment beyond belief. When it was all over and I thought I was in the clear, ready to get the hell outta there, the announcer called my name to award me a prize. A PRIZE?!?!?!?! I suck, I mean seriously suck, at bowling. I have no talent….none. How bad must these people be that I won a prize? It’s a sad, sad world folks.

That night was better, though I was forced into explaining the lurid details behind my clowning days. How does this always come up? Am I a sucker for self-humiliation? I think I have explained, in detail, every waking moment of my life from age 2 through present to my convo class….but they still want more. This is too much, I need help here. I’ve never shared half of this stuff with anyone…for good reason.

Sunday was, weird, to say the least. Dai, Chiharu, Masa and I made the 2 hour journey to Fukuoka City then took a ferry to Isla de Salsa. I can’t possibly describe this scenario to you. Picture 5,000 Japanese, a handful of Spaniards and a smaller spattering of Americans, a remote South Pacific island, no rhythm, and a whole lotta salsa. OUCH. Mix in a few beers, scantily dressed women (shaking everything they’ve got to no avail) and what do you get? MTV beach house meets Japanimation seizing on the beach.

But I had fun. So hey, whatever works right?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home