Thursday, August 19, 2004

North of Normal

I had a dream I was grocery shopping last night. So I guess it could be constituted as a nightmare, given my deep fear and hate of all things grocery-esque. Food is food, who cares what it tastes like....unless that is, it's raw horse. AND THEN WE DON'T GO NEAR IT PEOPLE. Raw horse. Who eats raw horse? Funny Side, hacked into tiny bits and served on a plate makes for a delicacy here. I've been trying to hold off on disgusted facial looks while talking to my coworkers, in hopes of not offending them...just give it time. But I couldn't contain the convulsions that came with the though of eating raw horse. No thanks. I don't think, "I gave it up for Lent" goes over real well here.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
New train of thought. I keep getting invites for random activities. A Lantern Festival in Haki, bowling game in Kurume (rock on...bowling=death), salsa festival in Fukuoka City. I can't salsa, don't know why I'm going. Can I retract my offer? And tonight, guess what my plans entail....guess, just guess. KARAOKE!!!!! I have arrived people. You are not culturally accepted until you make a complete ass of yourself pantomiming interest and talent through poor vocal skills to dasypygal American quasi-hits and total flops. So help me god if they even make me sing, I know they'll regret it more than words can describe. So I'll let you know how that one turns out. Give me cancer now................

----------------------------------------------------------------------
I got introduced to someone's son last night after class. They brought him along to meet me, and then his dad offered to drive us out for a drink. WHAT? Am I being set up on a date by an abrasive Japanese suit and his English ignorant son?

I think I was being completely naive when I assumed a year out of the grasp of American influence would allow me the opportunity to "sort things out." Since I've been here more crap from home has been reigning down upon me, stressing me out to a point I thought I could escape. I used to daydream about being locked up in a psych ward or mental institution (Eastern State is the inst. of choice) for a while, just as a break. Follow my lead here. Picture it. A break from television, parents, friends, dating, cooking for yourself, thinking for yourself, hell, even dressing yourself. An escape from all that is life. Sometime it just feels like too much. Maybe I wasn't cut out for this. Japan was supposed to be my escape without the threat of electroshock therapy...which I'm positive if institutionalized I would be administered on a regular basis. But so far, no escape. It's been relaxing, don't get me wrong. I'm having fun. But I don't want to think about dating, or where I went wrong, or what I'll do next. I assumed that if I escaped all that back there it'd standstill for awhile, even if just in my own little reality. I don't care what happens there, here is mine. But it followed me. Can I get a restraining order?


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home