Thursday, October 21, 2004

"Education is an admirable thing, but it is well to remember from time to time that nothing that is worth knowing can be taught." - Oscar Wilde

Last night was one of those perfect nights where everything falls into place, each facet of your life clicks, and for that nanosecond you are happy beyond belief. I was dreading my ekaiwa (convo class) because I feel I let them down every week, teach them nothing of importance or relevance to English conversation. But we got into one of those spontaneous activities where you end up fifteen minutes over the time limit and no one seems to have noticed. I had a chance to discuss my USSR vintage soccer shirt, a brilliant half moon lit the sky, the weather definitively switched into autumn mode and I got paid! I’d usually feel terrible about taking money from my class, considering all I do is show up and talk about myself (man, if that were a stable profession) but the town pays rather than the students. All my students do is show up and learn, money free, hassle free, no homework, no mandatory attendance, the perfect setup. It’s free…I still can’t get over that. If the American educational system worked this way we’d amaze ourselves at our potential…and I’d be fluent in 12 fucking languages. If only….

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home