Wednesday, September 08, 2004

There's beauty in the breakdown

Lately I’ve been searching through my profile, clicking on my interests and favorite books to find other blog users with similar interests. And here’s what I’ve come to realize:

I am a either

A) A middle-aged, balding, single male, living in either Canada or the United Kingdom, hoping to publish my poetry and achieve one-hit wonder-dom
B) A recent graduate of some Philippine technical institute with a degree in lamp-making
C) A 19 year old male Aries obsessed with the concept of cubical privacy and virtual girlfriends
D) A hamster

Is this me?

Am I really this weird?

Are my interests truly this anomalous? You guys are the same right? RIGHT?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You may have noticed I started a recommendation section. It’s mainly a collection of my favorites at the moment. However, Garden Sate, the new film by Zach Braff, hasn’t actually been reviewed by yours truly. But I’ve seen the trailer and several people have recommended it to me, so I’m passing the buck. Keep in mind, cinema here is about 8 months behind the U.S., so I probably won’t have a chance to view the movie until I return home….so tell me all about it.
Oh, and check out The Motorcycle Diaries as well. Let me know if it stays true to the book.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think I enjoy spider solitaire more than any human has ever enjoyed a solitary computer card game. Chimpanzees on the other hand, enjoy solitaire much more than humans could ever grasp.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a thick plastic sheet covering my desk. It’s yellowed with age and sun exposure to the point that all of my pictures shining up from underneath now look vintage….as if I lived through the 70’s Polaroid explosion when all film was tinted a mix of sienna and butter that’s creepily reminiscent of my grandmother smoking incessantly on a Sunday afternoon in the parlor. A combo of mid-day sun, a smoky haze, the musty smell of senior citizens and that gaudy shade of paint that decorated the walls….a shade I thought was only allowed on refrigerators…evidently I was mistaken.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a jail bail buddy....how sweet is that?!?!

3 Comments:

Blogger Brian said...

Hey, I resent that! I'm neither middle-aged nor nineteen, neither a graduate of a Philippine technical institute nor a hamster, and yet we share quite a few interests, actually. That's how I stumbled onto your blog in the first place. But I suppose I am male, single, balding, currently resident in the UK (though I'm American), and an Aries (well, Pisces-Aries cusp to be technical), so I guess you've got me on a few counts. By the way—observe as I cleverly divert attention away from my defective follicles or dubious astrological status—I was surprised to notice that you liked the book If Nobody Speaks of Remarkable Things. I wasn't aware that too many people outside the UK were familiar with the book, or maybe you're just one of the few. He's a Nottingham local, you know. I haven't met him, not that I know of at least, but I understand he frequents the vegetarian restaurants around here, so chances are I've probably bumped into him unaware at one time or another. I used to have a signed copy of his book around her somewhere, but I think my ex-girlfriend has since laid claim to it ...

3:35 PM  
Blogger Chishiki Lauren said...

I bought the book on a whim while in DC. The cover caught my eye and I figured whether or not the book was actually worth a read the photographic cover was definitely worth the purchase. As it turns out, both were worth more than the mere $7.99 I paid. I can't beleive you had a signed copy, I'm terribly jealous. And, if you ever do happen to run into Jon McGregor, as you say you probably have without realizing, tell him to get busy on another book...I'm running out of decent material to read.

p.s. I was not implying that you were a hamster, though I haven't ruled that out. Simply making the point my interests don't fit into the profile I'd envisioned. I suppose that's rather stereotypical...but in retrospect of my assumptions I think I'd rather have an atypical list of favourites than some cliche.

7:40 PM  
Blogger Brian said...

Fair enough. When I'm searching through profiles looking for interesting people, I have more respect for those that have definite opinions—even if they disagree with my own—than those that are vague. Most people who say they like 'all kinds of music', for example, don't really like German polka and Tuvan throat-singing. They just haven't given it a lot of thought. No, better I think to have interests that are unusual but well-formed, even if it makes you a bit of an eccentric, than to be tossed about by every wave of popular culture. And besides, you like The Family Guy ... I mean, that alone elevates you above the vulgar masses ...

8:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home