Monday, August 09, 2004

Randleski to the rescue!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not only have I received my first international phone call--thanks again Scheid, but I have now received my first package (get your mind out of the gutter.) Okay, so technically I won't get anything in the mail for a few weeks, but mere semantics. So a HUGE thanks to Scott, you rock, more than you know. You should come visit and I'll take you climbing...hey...We can go to Fuji, sleep on the rim, sound good? Seriously, thanks a lot.

It's another long, boring Monday morning, but I'm on a mission. I'm researching the Trans-Siberian Railway. I'm hoping that when I leave Tanushimaru for good I can hop onto the TSR in Beijing, take it through Russia, thereby fulfilling another of my pre-death requirements, and wind up in Europe...maybe visit some friends in Spain or Scotland. This is most likely one of those psychotically and feebly planned journeys that never pans out in the end....but I don't see why it should be destined to fall through. This time I have a bankroll, time, motivation, and thanks to international shipping I should be getting a book and timetables pretty soon. That'll help the planning process. And this is what we call: avoiding real work and postponing grad school for yet another year! I think I like it.

Oh yeah, I posted a few pics of Tokyo, what little Dre and I actually saw. We spent most of the days in meetings about life as a JET of African descent, managing your time and travel, responsibilities of a JET and 1,001 Japanese etiquette rules you absolutely must follow. Needless to say it was fun, I recommend it highly. We walked around a little at night, though didn't really discover the real Tokyo until the 2nd night. Nothing but flashing lights, Pachinko and bad eighties music. This is going to sound pathetic, but in retrospect, the highlight of my short-lived stay in Tokyo was the Dr. Pepper which Andrea and I spotted at a vending machine amidst a line of 30 vending machines. It was the first, and so far, last Dr. Pepper of my Japan stay....and I think I'm dying a little inside. It's clear to me that globalization overlooked the rural village of Tanushimaru. No Dr. Pepper, though I'm honeslty not surprised (the only place I found it in Europe was Gibraltar), no McDonald's---I know, I know, crazy huh? Maybe we should alert the authorities, that's bound to be some kind of international violation.


Shit, it's raining again. I appreciate the rain for it's furthering the resemblance the town holds to the scenery in the Goonies, but I'm getting a little tired of sloshing home in the humidity and rain....besides, there is no one to play with!!!! I think rainy season should come with a friend, I think I'll contact the prime minister now, alert him of my findings. He's gonna love me as much as Ernie Fletcher and Mitch McConnell....maybe I'd stop writing them if they'd stop being complete fuck-wits!


1 Comments:

Blogger Wander Lust said...

no worries chica. it's the least I could have done. You're out in the middle of nowhere (according to most of us), and you are loving it. I'm jealous, as you are aware. I hope you enjoy whatever it is I sent you.

10:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home